Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Spirit of Iowans

I love Iowa. Anyone that knows me probably knows that. I brag about it in Texas. I claim it. When people ask where I'm from, it's always Iowa. My bathroom is completely decked out in black and gold. No matter where I live, I'll always be an Iowan.

What has continually amazed me throughout this disaster is the community spirit. I talked about it my email with people helping my parents move out. It's been evident all over with sandbagging, moving, and cleanup. It seems like you could almost ask anyone to do anything for you and they would flat out do it. In the midst of all the news stories, I've never heard anything about vandalism or looting. Amazing. This should be an example to society. Never have I been more proud to be affiliated with this state.

Here's a couple things I read that affirmed my belief in this. The first is a section from an article I found on foxnews.com today titled, "2 More Mississippi River Levees Burst, Bush and McCain Visit Flood-Soaked Region." It specifically talks about my hometown, but I know it's just like so many other Iowa (and midwest) communities.

-Foxnews.com, June 19, 2008

"Even before the Iowa River used the town of Oakville as a shortcut to the Mississippi, there wasn't much here: a post office, a convenience store, a tavern and a little restaurant.

The largest employer was a pork-and-grain producer called TriOak Foods. The company's towering grain elevator was the tallest structure for miles around.

Then the floodwaters that soaked Des Moines and Iowa City began inundating the region's small communities — most with skylines that consist only of a water tower and maybe a couple of church steeples.

As the rivers rise, these modest towns survive because neighbors look after each other, and the people reinforcing the levees are business owners, farmers and fellow church members who have lived there for years.

"My house is past help. So we're trying to save everybody else's," said Bethany Frank as she helped fill sandbags in a church parking lot in Oakville. Her home on the outskirts of town was flooded up to the roof."



The second piece is written by my cousin, Andy, and was posted on his MySpace. Andy also grew up in Iowa and was my playmate at Mack Christmases. I couldn't have said it better myself!


"It's times like these that I'm proud to be an Iowan...it's the years and years of floods, tornados, droughts, blizzards and countless other acts of mother nature that have made Iowans a strong and determined group of people. If the deluge of media reports from Iowa give you nothing else, let them show you what teamwork, treating your neighbor, or a complete stranger as family, and helping others because its the right thing to do is what it's all about. I experienced the floods of 1993...luckily no one in my family was negatively impacted by them. I wish I could say the same this year. For those following the events, you've surely heard of Oakville, Iowa and the breach of the levee protecting the town and thousands of acres of farmland from the Iowa River. After a valiant effort by so many, the river was just too much. All that was to be protected is now under water. This includes the home and farm of my aunt, uncle and cousins. I just saw two pictures that show that their home is now completely under water. My family and so many others affected have been consuming my thoughts lately. For those that do, please pray for all those affected and for those that don't, please keep them in your thoughts as I have been and will continue to do.



~andy"


Well said! We weren't able to go on the boat to see the house today, for reasons I'll explain later. We're planning to go out tomorrow. The Big Ditch is still holding, but keep praying. There's been some seepage and boils that's not good. Boils are when water seeps underneath the levee and comes up on the other side. The water is dropping fairly quickly, but still has a LONG way to go to get under the flood stage. I'm hoping we can start moving some people back into their homes sometime next week!

Dad is still not getting much sleep and is working the night shift. Keep praying for him, that he won't get too exhausted and will get ample time to rest. There's just been so many thoughts and stories. I need to take time to get them down, but two baby boys I know have been occupying quite a bit of my time! :) Mom and I went to the grocery store this afternoon to get a few things for dinner tonight. We were both in a complete daze. We realized after we had been in the store that we didn't have a cart, and it took us forever to pick out some meat. We just didn't care or feel like it. I know I keep saying it, but it all still very surreal.

I'm hoping to get away on my own this weekend for a bit and get some good God time in. I've been missing it this week!

Another late(ish) night!! I also need to start going to bed (or to the couch!) sooner!!!

Scroll down for the link of pictures. It's absolutely mind-boggling to me.

2 comments:

Anne Spencer said...

Amen-Steph, it's been amazing to read your emails and the news articles --you can hear the community spirit that is there through your voice and the voice of the newspapermen. It's an encouragement to me--to hear that there is still a place where there is that community spirit. Our cities in our country need to take a lesson from you guys.
Praying.

JCC said...

We'll take it easy tonight... no thinking required! :) Just dinner and chatting! YAY! I get you to hang out with this summer!