Saturday, June 21, 2008

Meet Aunt Kate!



This is my great-aunt Kate. Her husband, Clem, was my Grandma Stoller's brother. Sadly, Clem passed away a year ago at the age of 92. Clem and Kate had been married for 65 years! Kate still lived in the house they had for years, until last week.

Not too long after Clem and Kate were married in 1941, they purchased some land and settled into a house in Huron Township. In the 1960s, they built the house Kate was still living in. It's where they raised their kids and had their grandkids over. Their daughter, Nancy, built a small house right next to them, and was still living there, helping her mom next door.

Clem and Kate lived just a mile down the road from us. I remember as a little girl stopping by their house and Clem would alway pinch my dimples or "steal" my nose. He was always known as the clown, and everyone loved his sense of humor, clear until he died. They had built up a beautiful yard with all kinds of flowers. When I rode my bike past their house, I would usually see Clem or Kate working in the yard. Oftentimes, I would see Clem riding around on the 4-wheeler. Even now, when Kate sees me, she says, "Well, there's Stephie!" and gives me the biggest squeeze ever. They were a delightful couple, and their love for each other was evident to all.

Sadly, now Clem and Kate's beloved home and yard is underwater. Kate, with the help of her family, was able to move all of her belongings out before it flooded. Kate lived most of her married life on that one plot of land. She and Clem were the only people that ever owned that house, for the past 40+ years. I saw Kate Friday at the womens' meeting, and I showed her pictures of her house. What amazed me is the comment she made:

One of the ladies - "Oh Kate, it's just so sad about your home. I'm so sorry."

Kate - "Sorry? Don't be sorry! It's ok because my real home is in heaven!!"

If only we could all have Kate's attitude towards our belongings. This is a woman who had every right to be devastated about her situation. Instead, she chose to look vertical and realize the things on earth are temporary. I learned a huge lesson that day. As she kissed me good-bye on my cheek, I could only hope and pray my attitude would be the same, now and when I'm 86, just like Aunt Kate.

2 comments:

Anne Spencer said...

Amen--how convicting and right perspective to have on our materialistic goods. Thank you for the continued updates.
Sending you a hug and prayers.
The pictures were heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

I think that Aunt Kate seems like a ton of fun. What a great gift to your family to have you with them this summer.