Sunday, June 15, 2008

Email Sent Friday, June 13th

Hello again!

We're starting to enter the most critical days on the flood. If you were on the news at all yesterday, you couldn't have missed the coverage on Cedar Rapids. Unbelievable. Cedar Rapids is a little over an hour north of my parents. Unfortunately, the Cedar River, which is causing havoc in Cedar Rapids, dumps into the Iowa River before it goes by my parents'. So that's what is headed towards us in the coming days. (Side note - I say "us" and "we" like I'm there, even though I'm far away! But no matter what, that little 275 acreage always has been and always will be home!). In addition, my parents' farm received about two inches of rain last night and Cedar Rapids/Iowa City received 3-4 inches. More rain in an already saturated ground only means higher river levels. Even the street I lived on when I went to the University of Iowa is closed because of flooding! Between all of this and horrific tornado that went through the Boy Scout camp, what is happening to my beloved state?!? However, I don't think I've ever been more proud to say I'm an Iowan! :)

On Thursday morning, my family received notice that they were under a mandatory evacuation. This stepped up the moving process, and they were able to get nearly everything out and in the semi yesterday. This morning they are moving out all of the appliances and will finish up. What a relief to know that even though you may lose the house, you were able to save all of the contents. Others are not so fortunate. Not only were they able to get all of the household items, they were able to get most of Dad's farming equipment out. Dad had an enormous shop full of tools and two barns to go through.

What struck me the most yesterday was the true community spirit of those around my family. By the end of the morning, my parents had 25 people out helping them. My dad's brothers and cousins were there, as well as a group of 15 people from my parents' church. They didn't call or ask, they just took the day off work and showed up. It was incredibly encouraging and humbling to us. There's a sandbagging effort going on at the levee to help support it. 1500 people turned out to sandbag all day in an effort to save a town of 400 people and about 40 farms. Wow! I've even had people from Iowa who I only see a couple times a year contact me yesterday to tell me they were praying. What a blessing! Now, don't get upset at me for saying this :), but I miss the community spirit you find so much in rural areas. In an age of privacy fences, endless busyness, and "keeping up with the Joneses," we easily get self-absorbed and miss out on opportunities to love and sacrifice for others (myself definitely included!!). I know it can be found in the city, but it's much harder, even sometimes in the church, unfortunately. End of the Steph sermon! :)

The next few days are crucial. A levee broke this morning a little further up the river. It will take some pressure of the levee my parents are worried about, but not much. The river crest predictions just keep on going up, especially with this new rain and the water coming from the Cedar Rapids area. It is still looking likely the levee will break, but we know that with God, all things are possible. If the levee does break, our house will not just get wet; it will be completely submerged. Dad does not believe he will ever go back to the farm. Heartbreaking. In a matter of days, my parents, sister and nephew could be homeless. Praise the Lord for the several people who have already offered my parents a place to stay until they find a new house, if that happens. I'm still hopeful and confident I'll be able to see my home again.

Keep praying, as I think it's pretty obvious what to pray for. I arrive back in Dallas Monday night and it's very possible I'll be repacking my suitcase and driving to Iowa Tuesday morning. If the levee breaks, I will most likely just stay in Iowa for the rest of the summer.

Thanks for praying! I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, here's a link to an article about the neighborhood my parents live in. Floyd Rowell, who is mentioned, married my grandmother a few years ago after their spouses died. He's just like a grandpa to me! Everyone else mentioned has known me since I was a baby. I hate that this is happening to all of them!

http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/Huron-evacuation-061308

With faith,
Stephanie

2 comments:

Christy said...

Steph, I couldn't agree more about the small, rural community spirit!

DavitaJo said...

I miss that about small towns too! The last time my mom was in the hospital people I had not seen in YEARS were dropping by to help out. It's nice to be a part of a community really committed to taking care of each other.