Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Full Happy Tank!

Can I just say, the last couple of weeks have just been amazing, refreshing, joyful, smiling, (insert any positive adjective). I'm just plain happy. I find myself smiling at random points of the day. I don't know what's gotten into me, but I love it! I haven't felt like this in a long time. After a rough year+ of various things, I feel like I'm becoming me again.

A list reflecting on the good things in life lately:

1. Admittedly, I had been thinking for the past few months of making a move to St. Louis to be closer to home. Very few people knew that because I didn't want to make a big deal out of it unless it was happening for sure. I had started looking into school districts and applying for jobs. But, I have decided not to move, at least this year. I realized things are going too well here and there's too many opportunities going for me. So, I'm here in Dallas to stay!

2. I know I've mentioned it before, and I can't tell you how much I love my job. It's a big reason I'm staying here. It's a perfect fit for me.

3. I'm going to grad school! I'm going to be getting my Master's in Education degree in Curriculum and Instruction with a literacy emphasis through the University of Texas - Arlington. That's a mouthful! :) I've been thinking about it for awhile and have decided it's time. The bonus is that my school district will pay for it! woo hoo! Disclaimer: going to a University of Texas system school in no way, shape or form makes me a Longhorn!

4. Without going into details, I got up the nerve to have a difficult conversation with someone this past week. While there was some sadness there, I can now get back on track to living a life glorifying to God, something I was having trouble doing the past year.

5. Friends - oh my, I think this is what has helped me smile the most. I went through a weird time last fall where I felt disconnected socially. Many of my closer friends were in different places, I left my long-time singles group at church because I didn't feel like I "fit" and I was finding myself lonely. This past month I have had such meaningful times with friends, whether it's a concert, girl time, conversations, and Sunday lunch. It's been a huge help!

6. Exercise - I'm now halfway through bootcamp and surviving! I've also successfully avoided fast food for two weeks now! While I'm not totally eating healthy yet, I'm making small changes one step at a time that will hopefully lead to bigger changes down the road.

Ran out of time! In the meantime, I'm :) :) :) :)


8 comments:

Christy said...

Steph what a fun post and I'm so excited for you & all the good things happening in your life right now! I wish I lived closer so we could have a 3 hr dinner every now and again and keep in touch easier, but thank goodness for Facebook, right! Enjoy your trip home and thanks for the updates on your life!

pianogal said...

I vote for getting your masters in Texas for free and then move to Des Moines! I hope boot camp is going well!

JCC said...

Long story short... anyway, please click over! :)

Anne Spencer said...

Glad to hear, Steph.
You were radiating, light yesterday at church.
Have a blessed week.

Anonymous said...

I love your grad school plans! That's exactly what I had intended to do before I ended up moving to Texas. Perfect that Plano will pay for it too. Glad to hear you're still a Hawkeye! Enjoy life. :)

Kristi said...

Awww, Steph! Your post made me smile! And AMEN to good times with friends lately! I've sooo enjoyed Sunday lunches & hanging out! love you!

happyday73 said...

I check your blog out once in awhile to see what's going on in your life! How exciting to hear the excitement in your post! Just the words you use makes it happy to read! Your big smile is a blessing and encouragement to many people Steph - glad you found your way back to it! Hope to see you at Oak Street while you're in Iowa!

happyday73 said...

Fyi - Happyday73 is me - Stacey (Day) Giffin! See you soon!