Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Outrageous "Office" 30th Birthday Party!

I love "The Office." It is easily my favorite show EVER. So what happens when you have a 30th birthday, a favorite show, and creative friends challenged by "bring it on"? You get an "Outrageous Office" Party!

I didn't know much about the evening. I knew when I was being picked up, where dinner was, and that it was an Office theme. I knew there would be MUCH more than that, but had no idea what. Was I in for a surprise!

I first met the group at Chili's, which is where Dunder Mifflin (the company from The Office) has their hang-outs. I was greeted by nearly 20 of my closest friends. I immediately had to tape a sign on my shirt that read, "it's my 30th birthday!"


My friend, Amanda, made up these business cards. They had a picture of me in my 80's outfit from a previous party, then there were different names on the cards: "Mrs. Zac Efron" (High School Musical), "Diehard Dallas Cowboy Fan," "Desperate Housewife of Collin County," "Russian Mail Order Bride," and "Paris Hilton's New BFF." Hilarious, until I was told I had to network by handing out the cards to other customers in Chili's. EMBARRASSING! But, I was forced. Julie videotaped the entire thing.

We had dinner, and afterwards Julie presented me with a "Dundee," the Office's version of an Oscar. Julie made it out of a Ken doll!


Giving my thanks for the award:


After dinner, we all went to Julie's house. Everyone (except me, of course!) was given a Performance Review Sheet. They were told to review me on four different tasks that I would complete that evening. All of the tasks were related to an Office episode. Here's Lauri, Leigh Ann, and Margaret with their sheets.


Task #1: Identifies post-it note terminology within certain time period (from Diversity Day). The group was split into two teams. I had a stack of post-it notes taped to my forehead. Each post-it note had an office related item on it (Xerox, receptionist, water cooler, etc.). I had to turn to a team, they would give me clues, and I had to guess the items. I was very quick on this one! :)


Task #2: Extracts self from box with only a dull pencil (season one episode). I could NOT believe this one! I had to get into this cardboard box, they taped it shut, and I had to get out with only a pencil. It was close quarters, but absolutely hysterical!!

"I really can't believe you're making me do this."


"But don't worry, because I'm already plotting my revenge!"


Amanda and Joy taping it up with an evil laugh.


Both hands peeking through!


Joy, Ashley, and Zoe rocking the box. It freaked me out just a bit!


I made it out! I think this task was nearly everyone's favorite!


Task #3: Demonstrates products creatively and coherently (pick and Office episode!). The group was divided into teams and given random office supplies with the instructions to create anything they wanted. I was taken into another room so I could not see, and when the teams were done, I had to guess what they made and give an impromptu sales pitch, infomercial style!

Joy and Stewart diligently working on their creation.


Team #1's creation: a helicopter that flies around the office dropping supplies.


Here I am trying to sell team #2's creation, a family.


Task #4: Removes stapler from Jello without using hands (an early Office episode). What? Wasn't the box enough? :) Oh no, of course not! I did this pretty quickly too, but it was sloppy!

Trying to figure out how to do this! Dwight the Bobblehead is watching closely!


Here goes....


Got it! :)


What do you have at an office? Donuts! So instead of cake, I blew out my candle from a Krispy Kreme donut!


I read aloud all of the evaluations, opened my cards, answered some fun questions and we all sat around talking for a long time. Julie has the entire evening video taped and is going to try to make my own Office episode. Just what I need, huh? :) It was the perfect evening. I had an absolute blast. I am so thankful and fortunate to have such fantastic friends, both who planned and came to the party. What a great way to start the 30s!



The group (minus Brandon and Cheri, and Jessica - click to make larger):


The Party Planning Committee - these girls are AMAZING!!! (Front - Julie, Joy, Back - Lauri, me, Amanda)


Thanks everyone! It is easily one of the most memorable birthdays ever! Thanks for making it so special! And Kristi, thanks for taking so many pictures! :)

4 comments:

Christy said...

What an awesome party! Looks like you had a great time - and I'm sure you were you asked for it! I'd really like to see the video of you "networking" at Chili's!

Anne Spencer said...

LOL..looks like a great time and what creativity. The pictures are great. Happy Birthday.

Kristi said...

You are welcome for all the pictures! I LOVED taking them! It was a great evening! I hope all your 30's are as fun and eventful as the first day! :-)

Love you!

BekaKay said...

What a party and what great friends. So glad you came into your 30's in such a great way. What a blessing you are Stephanie Jill!!