Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm here! I'm here!

It's been awhile. Sorry! I'm starting back to school with a new job and it's taking a lot of time and energy right now. But it's good. I think it's going to be much more of a fit for me. My schedule has changed a bit. Because I'm dually certified in general education and special education, my principal has elected to split my classes. I'm going to have "typically-developing" four-year-olds in the morning, which means it will be just a regular preschool class. In the afternoons, I'll have four-year-olds with special needs. It will be a nice change in the day, and I think having the typical kids will make me a better special ed teacher because I'll be able know exactly where a four-year-old should be developmentally. So yeah! I'm excited. The rest of the week is meetings and preparations, and kids start Monday.

Funny enough, I think the hardest part for me so far is having two assistants! They're both very sweet, and I know they're going to be great to work with. Norma will be with me full-time and Shirley will be in every other day. I'm SO not used to delegating - anything. It's been difficult to adjust to allowing others to do things for me, and even having to tell them to do things, like a boss. Oddly, I've thought about how good that's going to be for me, especially in thinking about marriage preparation (someday, whenever that is!). I'm learning to be less independent, more dependent, and slowly knowing it's ok to not have to carry every responsibility. It's just fine to allow others to do things for me, and I should just say "thank you" instead of feeling like a problem.

The past few weeks of being back in Texas have been such a processing and learning time for me. God really taught me a lot and I frequently have those little "aha" moments. I recognize lessons in daily life and acknowledge things I need to work on. It's been great. I feel like I'm becoming more and more the woman I'm supposed to be - God wants me to be. That's exciting, and I feel the change. Hopefully others will see it too!

Ok - flood notes!

1. The house was gutted last week! The World Relief team from the Apostolic church came and cleared out the house and took up all of the yucky flooring. I need to write an entire post on the Apostolic church. I'll just say this for now - their love for people, love for God, and hearts for service have been greater than I have ever seen in ANYONE. The character of the members of that church have been shown greatly through this entire flood experience and there's not a bad word you can say about it. They're such a witness and should be an example to everyone. THANK YOU!!!

2. Mom and Dad still don't know what they're going to do. The neighbors aren't returning. TOUGH decisions! Pray for them!

In other exciting news, I'm going back to Iowa for Labor Day weekend! I've been looking at flights for the end of September and everything is going up (as if you didn't already know this!). Mom happened to see a fare for Labor Day weekend and emailed it to me today. It's perfect! I'm getting a direct flight from Dallas to Cedar Rapids on that Saturday morning and don't have to fly out until Monday evening. I'll be able to be there for almost three days when everyone is off work - and it's Nate's birthday! The cost was about $150 less than what it's been running, which is a STEAL. Couldn't pass it up. And what makes it sweeter?! I arrive in Cedar Rapids at 10:35 a.m., and Iowa is having their opening football game just 30 minutes away from the airport, starting at 11:15. So, Nate and Kim are picking me up and we're immediately driving to the game!! AHHH!!!!! Family and football all in one weekend!!! I'm so excited!!!!

Enough for now! :)

2 comments:

Christy said...

I am SO jealous! Have fun at the game! I'll look for you while I am watching it on TV :)

JCC said...

I'm so happy for you! Doubt I'll even see you with my chaos that weekend, but I'm sure you'll have a great weekend! :)