Friday, July 25, 2008

Goodbye Iowa!

After nearly six weeks in Iowa, my bags are packed and I'm about to starting heading back to life in Dallas. It's just been a strange summer. I'm not sure how else to describe it! The six weeks have flown by, but at the same time, I feel like I've been here long enough that I'm living here, not just a visitor. I'm sad to leave, but very happy I got to stay as long as I could. I'm ready to move on and get back into my life. I miss my friends, church, apartment (specifically my closet!), and the routine I have there. I've realized that while Iowa will always be "home," Dallas truly has become my home. I'm not sure how I got to this place in thinking, but I can go back feeling very satisfied being planted there, and for a long time. I've always had wonderings whether or not to move back to Iowa or somewhere in the midwest. It's good to be content where I am and know I'm right where I'm supposed to be!

Not much new going on the flood front. The water has not receded any more. FEMA still has to inspect our house. A note.....Oakville and most of the area that was flooded is in Louisa County. About 25 homes, including ours, is in Des Moines County. This is significant when it come to FEMA, because counties appeal to FEMA to start the buyout process. Louisa County has said they are not going to pursue a buyout for Oakville, which is causing problems with people. Des Moines County is going to pursue a buyout for those of us. This does not guarantee a buyout, only begins the application.

What would a buyout mean for us? It would mean that FEMA would pay about the value of our house before it was flooded. Mom and Dad would get a check for it. In return, FEMA would have possession of about an acre of land and we would not be allowed to rebuilt a house on that site. Dad would still have the farm, including buildings, and be able to farm. They just could not live there. For a lot of people, especially those without flood insurance, this is a good deal. However, it could take a year or more before the process is completed.

I went and visited the Big Ditch once more yesterday. It was strange to see it for one final time. Hopefully, the next time I'm back the water will be completely gone. There's a spot on the Big Ditch where I can stand and look straight towards our house. I would go every few days, stand on a particular sandbag and see where the water was on the farm. I took that sandbag yesterday! I felt like the sandbag and I had bonded. :) It had supported me (literally!) as I viewed my home and I felt like I should have it as a little memento of the summer.

Thanks for reading this summer! Even though I am leaving, the posts will not end. I'll continually update with things happening, and I have some ideas for stories about the house. I've been encouraged to keep the blog, so I'll probably turn it into a more personal blog, too. Keep reading if you'd like!

Goodbye! I'm off to a baseball game, shopping, and pedicures in Kansas City. Will be home in Plano Monday afternoon!

No comments: